Student Info – Name, School, Previous Score, Goal, College choices
II. SAT Math Test Format
20 Questions – 15 multiple choice, 5 grid in answers
No Calculator Allowed
38 Questions – 30 multiple choice, 8 grid in answers
No penalty for guessing
III. General Breakdown of Questions
Categories of questions:
1. Algebra I (19 questions)
2. Problem Solving / Data Analysis (17 questions)
3. Advanced Math (16 questions)
4. Geometry (6 questions)
No logarithms. All other Algebra 2 topics are included along with some trigonometry
IV. General Strategies
1. Read and re-read the problem carefully. Don’t rush the reading.
2. Identify what the problem is asking for. Don’t answer x if the problem asks for 2x.
3. Write in the test booklet. Draw and label diagrams if not to scale.
4. Pace yourself – Approximately 1 minute per problem on section 3 and 1.5 minutes per problem on section 4.
5. Don’t leave any problem blank
6. Know the rules for grid-ins.
7. Look for a known relationship, plug in given values, and solve for missing value
8. Identify a specific algebra skill. Factoring, simplifying, equation solving
9. Work backwards. Plug in the answer choices.