SAT test math preparation file from that includes questions and answers, and advice from murrieta.k12.ca.us
SAT Math Prep Course Packet
Diagnostic Test Questions
Math Topics: Linear Equations, Systems, Inequalities
Homework: Practice Test #1
Practice Test #1 Questions
Math Topics: Problem Solving, Ratios, Proportions, Scatterplots, Probability, Statistics
Homework: Practice Test #2
Practice Test #2 Questions
Math Topics: Exponents, Polynomials, Radicals, Advanced Equations, Functions
Homework: Practice Test #3
Practice Test #3 Questions
Math Topics: Quadratics, Imaginary Numbers
Homework: Practice Test #4
Practice Test #4 Questions
Math Topics: Lines, Angles, Triangles, Similarity, Congruence, Proofs, Circles, Solids, Trigonometry
All practice tests, course materials, and solutions will be posted on my school website.
Go to VMHS.net, click on Teachers, Click on Alan Tupaj, Click on SAT Math Prep Course.
Student Info – Name, School, Previous Score, Goal, College choices
II. SAT Math Test Format
20 Questions – 15 multiple choice, 5 grid in answers
No Calculator Allowed
38 Questions – 30 multiple choice, 8 grid in answers
No penalty for guessing
III. General Breakdown of Questions
Categories of questions:
1. Algebra I (19 questions)
2. Problem Solving / Data Analysis (17 questions)
3. Advanced Math (16 questions)
4. Geometry (6 questions)
No logarithms. All other Algebra 2 topics are included along with some trigonometry
IV. General Strategies
1. Read and re-read the problem carefully. Don’t rush the reading.
2. Identify what the problem is asking for. Don’t answer x if the problem asks for 2x.
3. Write in the test booklet. Draw and label diagrams if not to scale.
4. Pace yourself – Approximately 1 minute per problem on section 3 and 1.5 minutes per problem on section 4.
5. Don’t leave any problem blank
6. Know the rules for grid-ins.
7. Look for a known relationship, plug in given values, and solve for missing value
8. Identify a specific algebra skill. Factoring, simplifying, equation solving
9. Work backwards. Plug in the answer choices.
V. How to Prepare
1. Get LOTS of problems wrong and learn what you did wrong
Identify the type of mistake:
c. Lack of knowledge (don’t know the relationship)
d. Mis-read question
e. Did not answer the question
2. Master the math skills. Know all relationships.
3. Practice under time constraints.
4. Plan on three tests dates: First time – Practice, Second time – Real, Third time – Goal
Questions: Email me at
VI. 10 Good Websites: (Based on old SAT)
Good summary of strategies. Lots of practice broken down into smaller categories. Detailed answers and hints.
Lots of practice tests with explanations for wrong answers.
Collegeboard creates the test, so practice questions will be most similar to the real questions.
Video instruction to go along with practice
Study guides for specific topics along with practice tests
Practice tests with answers and explanations
Good strategies, no real practice.
A collection of math skill review sites
An online prep book looking at each math skill. No practice problems.
Video instruction on SAT Math topics
Day 1: Linear Equations, Systems, Inequalities Notes